Departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit)
Shift of Brexit - Update on 11.04.2019
The governments of the European Union member states agreed to postpone Brexit again.
Irrespective of subsequent developments we have begun in the first week of April to issue invitations to attend a personal appointment to those people who used our online registration service, and we have also updated our guidance.
We continue to ask all British nationals residing in Berlin to ensure that they use our online service to register themselves.
- Whatever happens, British citizens will in future require a residency title or some other proof of their right of residency in order to reside in the territory of Germany.
- To register and submit your application, please use our online form (see below). Please read our FAQ first
- Please stay abreast of the latest developments. We will keep you up to date with any news.
Consequences in residency law for British citizens in Germany in the event of a disorderly Brexit
- In the event of a no-deal Brexit, British citizens shall be exempt for an initial three-month period from the requirement to obtain a German residency permit.
- By the end of that period all British citizens residing in Berlin should have registered online with us.
- Pending a decision on the residency application, continuing residency in Germany and the exercise of any economic activity shall remain permitted.
Consequences in residency law for British citizens in Germany in the event of a Brexit Withdrawal Agreement
Should the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU be ratified after all, you will still be required to obtain a certificate on your right of residency.
Online registration with the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office
British citizens already residing in Berlin can register online with us to submit an application for a residency title.
Before completing the form, please do bear in mind the following points:
- This form is only intended for British citizens and their family members who are already residing in Berlin. If you do not live in Berlin, please consult your local Foreigners Registration Office.
- For families living together under one roof the following applies: Please ensure that the form is only completed by one adult member of the family. Spouses and/or children under 18 should be entered in the particular designated field of the form.
- Adult children who are living with their parents should complete the form themselves.
What happens after you have completed this form
- After you have entered all your data and sent the completed form, you will see a summary of your entries displayed on screen as well as a confirmation of your registration. We recommend that you save a copy of the confirmation for yourself and any family members and/or take a printout. This document serves as confirmation of your registration and your lawful residency in Germany.
- In the coming months we will contact everyone who has completed this registration form to offer them a personal appointment. We kindly ask for your patience at this time.
- Provided that you are residing in Berlin and entitled to exercise free movement rights, your right of residency in Germany remains valid pending a decision by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office on your application.
- Until that time you (and where applicable also your family members) are entitled to engage in economic activity. This is however conditional on your subsequent attendance for appointment on invitation with the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office.
Entry and Exit
- The data requested on our online form will be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Should the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union be stopped, we will immediately delete all data we have collected.