Current information on this location
- Currently every eligible customer can receive a waiting number during our opening hours and will be served at our location Keplerstraße.
This applies to all persons who require a residence permit to study, to attend a language course, employment as a researcher, scientist or teacher or as an au pair.
Therefore there is no need to queue before our opening hours.
- The following services are available at the location Keplerstraße.
- For all other services please visit our main service building at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
By appointment only
10:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to Ausländerbehörde, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Residency for the purpose of studying
Issuance and extension of a residence permit for the purpose of studying
You must be enrolled or have conditional approval for studying in order to be issued a residence permit.
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
Main residence in Berlin
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
Only required for first-time application
Proof of secure livelihood
- For the initial issue: e.g. escrow account at a German Bank with 8,640 euros / submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form / scholarship / notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the studies with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months
- For the extension: bank statements of the last six months
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Certificate of enrolment or conditional approval for studying
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when extending the residence permit.
From 01.09.2017 they are:
- For the initial issuance: 56.00 to 100.00 euros
- For each extension: 49.00 to 96.00 euros
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.